Friday, August 22, 2008

I am so proud of ME!!

Okay so I have gone somewhat granola but I am thinking that when we do have a second baby I am going to do cloth diapers. Alot of people think it's totally crazy but things have changed. You can find a million different cloth diaper styles and fabrics now it's not a piece of cloth and pins anymore. The baby I watch is in cloth so I am very familiar with them how to use them and the good and bads. I have been trying to be mindful of our environment and the things that I can change that will make a bit of a difference, also it's cheaper (you can use them and then sell them and make back half if not more of the money you spent). I kinda think if I make one every now and then by the time I have second one I will have a good size stash. I found a website online with this diaper called the KCK one, I bought the pattern and supplies to make 3 diapers all for $20. If you just buy this diaper it sells for $18. I started making one in Idaho with my moms help and I finished it today...I am so excited to finally have one done, I would say from start to finish without kids interruptions I could make one in about an hour or so. I just had to share... here is the link to the site and about the diaper http://hyenacart.com/kaylasclothkits/index.php?c=52&p=55604

5 comments:

Pepple said...

Yay! We use cloth and we LOVE them. I would never go back to disposibles again! I love bumgenius and they are now selling them at some Targets. Wal-Mart also sells Kushies really inexpensively. Be careful it can get addicting!!

Pepple said...

I actually make our own detergent so when I was the diapers thats what I use. I don't use any fabric softeners with them. And I cannot line dry things in this neighborhood (against our HOA, dang it!)So I always dry them in the dryer. Feel free to ask away!

Pepple said...

Its super easy to make your own detergent. The recipe calls for Fels Naptha, but I use glycerin soap I buy from Whole Foods. I can never find Fels Naptha and I like my whole foods stuff. I usually make the liquid, but I might try the powder next time. I have never had to "strip" my diapers, and they are always clean, so I think this works great! FYI...I make it into about 3 or 3 and 1/2 gallons, not 5...
http://www.recipezaar.com/70088
This is the powdered
http://www.recipezaar.com/76779
Oh I also add essential oils when I feel like it, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Med School Mama said...

you go mama! always here to give support :)

The Stratton's said...

I agree with all the previous posts--more power to ya!
I will be interested to hear back if they are easy to use. I geuss the idea of having to clean them out all day is the only thing that really keeps me from going in that direction. Can't wait to hear how it turns out!