Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Homemade Play-doh!!

Addie and I sit down and play with play-doh on a VERY regular basis. We have gone through many tubs of it after it drying out. I decided to try and be Suzy Homemaker and make some play-doh myself. I found the recipe out of a family cook book we have.

Homemade Play-doh

1 cup flour
1/2 salt
1 tsp veg oil
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 cup water

Mix all ingredients in a non-stick pan or double boiler. Cook over low-med heat. Stir until it forms a ball-ish look. Remove from heat, take it out of pan and let it cool. Add food coloring to make your favorite colors. Store in air tight containers. Play and enjoy!

I doubled it this recipe, it didn't look like it was going to make much without doubling. It ended up being perfect. It filled 6 old play-doh tubs. The only thing that sucked was after all the stirring and kneading my arms are about to fall off, but it was well worth it. We had so much fun!

We made blue, green, orange, yellow, pink, and purple.
The PERFECT amount to fill 6 tubs!

5 comments:

Valeri said...

Nice! I will have to try that. Chloe's play dough has seen better days, and I've been thinking it was about time I replaced it. Good to know I can do it for practically nothing. And she'll love the process of making it, etc. She can wear her new little apron. :) I'm sorry I still haven't posted on my blog about that yet. Will get to it soon. I promise!!! Any luck with Etsy?

Pepple said...

So fun! We might have to attempt some homemade play doh again soon. I love how pretty your colors are!

Anonymous said...

No luck with Etsy yet. I have had a lot of views, but no sells yet.

The Stratton's said...

I luv when you play Susie Homemaker! ;) bet your cute little Addie does too!

the happy thomas family said...

thanks for sharing this! i've been looking for a good playdoh recipe. and it helps that this one is coming from someone that i trust who has tried it themselves. save me some wasted time ... :)