Monday, May 18, 2009

HELP! Please!

Addie has been having sleeping issues for a few weeks now. She has been waking up between 2-4 a.m. and not going back to sleep for 2-4 hours. After this had been happening for a week or so I decided to try and figure out what her deal was. We were letting her watch a movie in her room while she is going to sleep. I cut that out and now I just play Jim Brickman now. When she wakes up in she always asks to watch a movie, I tell her no and that she needs to go back to sleep. She comes in our room and tells me every reason why she either needs to sleep with us or watch a movie. I know it would make my life easier if I just put a movie in but it hasn't stopped her from waking up night after night, so it can't keep happening.

Have any of you had to deal with this with any of your kids? What did you do?

One of my great friends told me that she put her child in the time out chair when they would wake up and get out of bed. I think I may do that. If she gets out and come in to our room( for nothing important), put the chair in her room, buckle her in, and leave her in it for a bit. At first I thought it was a little much but the more I think about it I think it will work. I think if she learns to know that she needs to stay in her bed as long as it is dark outside or she will be put in the time out chair. You would think staying in her bed would be a lot more fun then going in the chair. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much!!!

2 comments:

Heffs said...

Hope you find a real good answer to your problem... I am completely against having the girls watch TV when they go to bed to fall asleep to...one, they never go to sleep when they are suppose to and two, they seem restless. The girls are GREAT sleepers and thank goodness I only have to worry about the occasional bright and early wake up call of them standing next to my bed say..."mommy...mommy" If she has a tv in her room maybe threaten to take it away.

Also, very opposed to doing the time out thing at that time...just because if she is waking up and is still some what tired could you imagine the fight that could be put up with her. Especially if she is still alittle out of it things seem to take a dramatic turn for the worse when we punish them and they are very tired...What if she had books to read if she got up. Maybe a little night light and you told her, if she gets up and can't sleep then just read a book quietly in her bed?? Just a couple thoughts..hope something helps you guys!!

Evynn said...

My nephew (on Lenny's side) would wake up every night like that too. Their doctor told them, That if they get up, you put their butts right back to bed, and if they get up again, you keep putting them back. It might take a few days or weeks. But you can't give into them. You're the boss. and by letting them watch TV. You're only creating a bad habit. I know you're an awesome Mom, and Addie Is so lucky to have you. I'm sure you'll know what's best for you and her in the long run. Good luck!!