Saturday, April 4, 2009

So I don't normally do this but...

I just finished watching Slumdog Millionaire and I can't help but wonder what others feelings are on the movie.  I must admit I didn't really expect the ride that it takes you on throughout the movie, and for the most part it was a good movie, but I still have lingering mixed emotions about the movie in general.  While I would say it was a good movie, I don't know that I would say it was movie of the year material and I still don't think its in the same class as Requiem for a Dream, Crash, or Traffic.  The one thing I will say though, is that the story was captivating and had me wanting more up to the very end despite the fact that it wasn't a very "happy" movie in general.  I guess that's a sign of good writing though right?  

Anyway, for those of our readers who have read it, I would love to hear your take on the movie because I find myself in a "didn't love it, didn't hate it" situation and I really do enjoy hearing why other people loved it or hated it.  Sometimes they help you see things you didn't catch in a movie and can bring different perspectives into focus.  I look forward to hearing some responses   :) 

4 comments:

Kira =] said...

so since you've seen it, What made it rated R? been interested in watching it, but at the same time not because of the rating.

Carla said...

Hey Carrie, John and I watched the movie last night, on his recomendation. I'm still not sure if I liked it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to watch. I thought it was way too intense for me. I am a super sensitive person and couldn't handle the movie. I just sobbed after the movie was over wondering why some kids have to grow up in situations like that. Why I didn't...you know. Too much for me. John loves how the writing of the movie captured every human emotion. He says it gets you envolved on every level. You are full of hope, and then full of fear, and then full of anger, and then full of love. I would agree......but still too intense for me. John and I think it has an R rating because of the intense poverty you see in the film. It's hard to handle. I appreciate the reality check it gave me.

Anonymous said...

Carla I totally agree %100. It was a little much for me. I have a really hard time with movies like that. Brian liked it, but he likes movies like that. I just don't do well with stuff like that.

BK said...

I liked it. It was definitely one of the most eye-opening movies I've ever seen in regards to the poverty and problems that plague countries like India. Yes it may be uncomfortable to watch, but at the same time I feel that as people who are better off, its important to remember how lucky we are and how unfortunate other are, simply because of where they were born. My personal take on it is, these types of movies can help keep you humble and grounded. But that's just my take on it.