Thursday, April 17, 2008

Woo-hoo!!

Addie and I are going on a trip. We are so excited. It's a surprise for a few of the people we are going to see. so once we get there I will blog more and have pics. Things have been kinda crazy lately. We are leaving at the beginning of the week and the day after we get back home I have to unpack and pack again cause we are off for another river trip. The weekend after we get back one of my forever long best friends KP ( Kristen) is moving out here for the summer. I AM SO EXCITED. I am moving Addie up in the loft and KP will be in her old room. The only problem is right now our loft is full of boxes, crap, all my sewing stuff, and fabric. I need to go through and organize everything and get rid of ALOT of stuff that we don't use or need. I will have 4 days to do this. If you have seen our loft then you would know that there is NO WAY that I am going to be able to do this with a 2 year old. KP told me not to do anything and she would help me but it's her problem that we have so much stuff. I am going to do my best to get everything I can done and then she can help me with the rest. My mind is just mush right now, so sorry for long winded blog....


One more questions... Brian and I TOTALLY disagree on this. I would like to know everyones thoughts. You take your child to a sit down restaurant and after the food comes and the child eats he/she doesn't want to sit in the high chair anymore. Do you leave your child in a let him/her cry it out? Or do you take him/her out and walk around outside or have the child sit on your lap?

5 comments:

Kira =] said...

That's so awesome Kristin is coming for the whole summer and staying with you!!!! She is an awesome woman. =]

About the highchair, it depends. We've done both. If the child is tired and we know this, then we'll cater to them and do things to keep them happy, because they aren't themselves when they're tired or hungry or sick. If the child is very content and happy and then starts pitching a fit out of nowhere, we'll try keeping them in their seat, but if it persists then the trip out is done and we all pack up and go home. And it's awhile before we'll go out again.

Heffs said...

I say let the kid cry it out! Just kidding, I've never had to deal with this b/c the girls are so dang perfect... HAHA! Of course that's a bunch of baloney too!

This is a hard one, b/c if you keep the kid inside the restaurant, you have others around you getting irritated b/c you have a kid crying and they are trying to enjoy themselves for dinner. But you want to teach the kid that dinner is family time and it's only time to go when everyone is ready to go. ?? for you. When you are at home or in another easy going enviroment eating dinner, when dinner is done can the kid get down and run around? If so, then that's were you need to start, let them know even though you are at home, no one is able to be excused until everyone's done. That's just my opinion though... hope you get some great information to help you out! Love ya, T

Valeri said...

We are all about tough love in this house, so if Chloe starts acting up while we're in public, we immediately ask her if she needs to go to "time-out". It took a few times, but she definitely knows by now that even though we're not at home, dad and mom are still fully capable of finding a "time-out" somewhere! A lot of times the question/threat alone does the trick, but when she's feeling especially testy, we simply follow through and carry her either to the car or another area of the restaurant/store or wherever she can kick and scream all she wants until realizing it's not doing her any good and stops. You just want her to know that YOU are in charge, NOT her, and that her tantrums are just not going to work! Persistence pays off, I promise!

Unknown said...

I agree Valeri... As a courtesy to everyone else and to show her you are the boss I'd step away from everyone with her.

So far we hardly get a chance to go anywhere, but when we do I'm sure we'll frequent the car or the back of the church on a regular basis with little miss.

Callie said...

Hmm..this is a good one!
First, if the purpose is to dine with friends and have a conversation, don't bring the kiddos.

Secondly, kids need to learn restaurant etiquette, but unfortunately for us parents, it is at their own pace. So, I would always scope out the restaurant and ask to be seated in an out of the way, maybe in the back, where I can talk, discipline, etc, the child without feeling like everyone is watching.
Restaurant visits should be only as long as the child can take it, plus a little, so they learn.

All this of course, after trying to distract with crayons, paper, sugar packets, etc! I don't know, maybe that's why my grown kids still play with their food!