Thursday, September 18, 2008

What is going through her head??

I am at a loss for words but I am about to lose my mind. Yesterday Addie went pee in her pants 4 times. Today she so far has gone pee in her pants twice and for some reason thought that the bathroom trash can looked like an awesome potty also. She was doing great and has been for a while now, but the last two days have been enough to make me crazy. I am tired of her going through changes of clothes. What in the heck do I do? Make her go to her room? Give her a swat? Put her on the mat? I am honestly totally lost and can't believe this is happening or more so why she would do it....Anyone that has potty trained a child and has any advise please please share.  

2 comments:

Valeri said...

Been there...

Chloe's been out of diapers since March and she STILL has days where she's just like, "Hmm, I think I'll pee my pants today!" And when I ask her why she did it, she just looks at me like, "I don't know? Whatcha gonna do about it?" I think there are two factors behind this behavior. #1 - It's about control! And #2 - It's her way of getting attention. It seems the days Chloe has "accidents" (which I don't really believe are accidents) are the ones where I have a billion things on my agenda and probably look like a chicken with its head cut off! Somehow she senses the stress and sees that I'm giving my attention to other things and not her. So even though it's negative, she does what she can to get the attention back on her, even if the consequences are not in her favor.

I have made her clean up her own pee before - she doesn't like that. She actually hasn't done this in weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's about finished with this phase. I have found, however, that taking away toys is starting to work in other ways, so perhaps it'd work for you in this situation. Hope some of what I've said was helpful. I know how frustrating it is! Good luck!

Heather said...

I think really the most important thing is that they WANT to do it and is also all about control. Ashlyn is 2 months older and still insists on wearing diapers most of the time even though she could so be potty trained. It drives me crazy when she looks at me and says "the peepee is coming" and I say "lets go use the potty!" and she says no, diaper. ARRGH!!!