Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Christmas reflections...

So this year, as some of you may or may not know was a little bit tigher for us, as it was for many.  We did our little family Christmas before we actually left for Idaho this year because we didn't want to have to pack gifts just to bring them back again, and its not like we didn't already have enough to bring.  The one thing I really learned this year, I think because we didn't really have gifts to open on Christmas this year, was how fullfilling Christmas can be without any gifts.  I know this may sound like I'm kind of repeating the obvious, but I've found its very easy to fall into our desires for material things and always wanting to keep up with the Jones'.  I feel as though this year, there weren't any presents to distract me from what I really enjoyed about this Christmas, which was spending time with family.  The other thing I realized this year is how, even though the family I spent time with was family through marriage, each and every person made me feel as though I had always been a part of the family.  I was so thankful to spend such quality time with Matt and Tanya and their girls, as well as Nate and Kelley and their kids.  Primarily because out of my in-laws, they're the ones I've spent the least time with.  After this Christmas I really felt like rather than having 2 brothers-in-law, I really do have 2 new brothers.  And I felt that now I have 3 sisters, Chris, Tanya, and Kelley.  I think this was a good trip for me to really feel connected to the Heffelfinger family and for that reason I'm so glad we made the sacrifice of the over 800 mile drive to Twin Falls.  Its funny how sometimes our best Christmases involve the least amount of material things.  So while this country may be in a recession, maybe that's just what some of us need to learn the more important things in life and really appreciate the little things, like our family.  I know I sure do!

No comments: